Need advice! Husband has job offer out of state!

Stephanie - posted on 09/19/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




I need some opinions. My husband and I have a 19 month old together. We also have my 8 year old who lives with us and sees his father every other weekend or when it's convenient for his Dad. I am a stay at home mom and my husband has been working for the same company for 17 years. We live in Texas and my family is here and we see them almost everyday ( I help my sister out with babysitting). We are very close and they help us out whenever we need help as far as babysitting. He also has his family here too. My husband has moved in the past, but my kids and I have not. He recently was told his company was closing the shop here in Tx and if he wanted to continue his employment along with his benefits he would have to relocate to Georgia. They would increase his salary to compensate for the cost of living and assist with moving fees. The problem is I'm not sure if this is the best move for our kids. We have bad credit, not much in savings and the place we are renting the landlord has already offered us home owners financing when we are ready. We love this house and the neighborhood. If he turns down the offer he will get a severance, but we are pretty sure he will have to take at least a 3-4 dollar paycut. I want us to stay and have told him if we would I could get a part time job and adjust our schedules so we would not have to incur the cost of child care. I understand he has worked so hard and wants to retire with this company. I'm worried about moving up there with nobody except us. I'm thinking what if something happens and I don't have anyone to watch the kids ( we only feel comfortable with certain family members watching the kids). I'm also thinking about my son. He has a relationship with his Father and they visit at least once a month. He is in soccer here and has been with the same coach and team for the past 2 years. I don't want him to feel like we're taking him away from his biological dad and hate us for it. Plus I mentioned previously we have bad credit and am not sure what kind of housing we could get into up there. We would have to downsize a lot. I do not want him to subconsciously hold a grudge against me if we don't move down there and even worse him have a hard time finding a job here although he has already had several prospective employers show interest in him since his work skills, certifications, and work history. I also do not want to move up there and subconsciously hold a grudge against him because I feel I think we can make it work here. Please help I just want what is best for my family and all of our happiness. So lost and just want to make the right decision. If it was just my husband and me we would already be moving, but its not and we have to make the best decision for the whole family.


Michelle - posted on 09/19/2013




It may sound silly but you both need to write out your list of pros and cons. Then sit down together and go through each item. You need to discuss what you want but also listen to each other.
I will say that children are very adaptable and sometimes a change can do them good.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms