Not sleeping through the night!

Jennifer - posted on 03/25/2010 ( 5 moms have responded )

8

46

0

My son will be 9 months old on the 29th, he does not sleep through the night ever! he always goes to bed at the same time, gets up at the same time in the morning, but during the night always wakes up and wants a bottle, usually only one sometimes 2. Sometimes I even have to sleep with him the rest of the night because he wont sleep in his play pin, he just cries and cries. What the heck should I do? Please help, any ideas?

5 Comments

View replies by

Jennifer - posted on 03/26/2010

1,431

1

298

I know the feeling. My last child was up every two hrs. to eat at night until he was 12mo. Honestly until then I just let him do it. He started out as a very large baby (10lb-3oz), but soon after birth, went to a normal weight, and stayed there. I figured that since he was maintaining a healthy weight, then he must need the extra feedings. When he turned 1 and wasn't drinking as much through the day, because he was eating more solids, I started just giving him water at night. It was enough to give him something in his tummy, and he would go back to sleep. Pretty soon, his body got used to not having formula in the middle of the night, so then we would get at least a 4-5hr stretch of sleep. The really funny thing is that when he was 15mo old we went on vacation to Disney World. I was so tired from spending the days in the park, that after about the third night, I couldn't get my butt out of bed. When he started crying, I looked at him and told him to lay down, because it wasn't time to get up yet. And he did!!! He started sleeping through the night from then on (if I'd only known before then that that was all it would take. hahaha). Now that he is 2, he usually wakes up once just for me to rub his back for a second and tell him he is ok, and that is fine with me. I figure if he is crying now, he is scared or something is bothering him, and it's nice to know I'm still needed.

Lisamarie - posted on 03/26/2010

715

26

112

For a baby "sleep through the night" actually means you baby sleeps more than 5 hours! My son is 8 and half months and wakes 2 to 3 times a night, my 3 yr old however slept through from ten pm until 8am when she was that age. Babies vary. As long as you have a good routine your baby will be fine.

When babies wake up during the night, they are not nessesarily wanting a bottle, they want reassurance and to know you're there, they need interaction.

I know it's hard but I'm afraid it's something tthat comes with parenthood and also, babies sleep patterns change very quickly, it may change again in a couple of weeks. There is NO way to make your baby sleep longer. Good luck! :)

Renae - posted on 03/26/2010

2,209

23

156

Have you tried a dreamfeed? Did you know 50% of babies still wake for at least one night feed until 12 months? It is a common myth that babies do not need to feed at night after 6 months, that actually means that babies can sleep a 6-8 hour stretch after 6 months which is different to ALL NIGHT.

The big question here is, is he waking out of hunger, or is this a bad habit? How does he go to sleep at the start of the night? 25% of babies who are helped to sleep by a parent will continue to wake during the night until they learn to put themselves to sleep. The other 75% will sleep through when they are physiologically ready, regardless of anything you do or how they go to sleep.

Kelly - posted on 03/26/2010

8

14

0

i have the same prob i know fall asleep with her sneak out til she cries its a nightly ritual and shes 2 just keep doing it they say they will grow out of it and cause were with them 24/7 little clingers i tell ya LOL

Dana - posted on 03/26/2010

20

18

2

well it has been some time since my boy was little but he was the same way. What worked for me was I kept feeding him on the usual times but I would not let him sleep with me sounds stupid but we figured if we ran the vacum for about 30 mins after his feedings he would be out for the rest of the night. Sometimes a radio playing soft music like oldies or country playing also helped

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms