sharp abdonmial pain

Leigh - posted on 03/20/2010 ( 4 moms have responded )




Hi Moms - can anyone please help me with a problem i'm experiencing. I had a C -section 3 months ago with the birth of my second son and have recently starting experiencing sharp adbominal pains. I am currently living in Kuwait and have been to both a GP and a Gynae and neither seem to be able to pick up what is wrong. The pain i'm experiencing is a really sharp, almost throbbing pain either on the left or the right side (it alternates). whenever i get the abdomial pain i also get a sharp pain shooting through my left breast. I'm also experiencing slight pain when urinating. The gynae diagnosed a slight infection and then put me onto a course of anitbiotics but they didn't help and she subsequently prescribed another set of anitbiotics which have also done nothing. I'm worried that we treating symptoms instead of diagnosing the cause - has anyone had anything similar and if so please advise me on a course of action. thanks very much. Kind Regards Leigh


View replies by

Kathryn - posted on 03/20/2010




i had this kinda pain back in 2007 after my 2nd c section it started around 5 weeks and gt so bad at one point my hubby called an ambulance and i was treated with morphine the hospital explained tht it couldve been "windy" pains as part of the bowel is moved to perform a section delivery and at some point has to move back, very painful but it did go with time and i sympathise with u, try strong pain relief and plenty of rest where ever poss hope this helps xx

Debi - posted on 03/20/2010




Are the pains constant or intermittent? If the latter, how often do they occur? Are you on birth control? Are you breastfeeding? What kind of infection were you diagnosed with? Sorry for all the questions, but there are so many things it could be with those symptoms!

Taralee - posted on 03/20/2010




I think Carolee has a very good point!! Unfortunately, male doctors ( I say that will hesitation b/c not all male physicain are like that)....often dismiss our complaints. I have had a painful finger for YEARS, and was told by two pervious doctors that it was arthristis. It took me moving and having to get a new dr. It was a women, and her responds was to have tests run....turns out it is a tumour!! Beign...but a tumour. So go and be pushy...tell them you want tests run. I still have a slight pain at my C-section sight, but nothing like you are speaking of. Please go back...and let us know how you are doing. P.S. My negativity is not to slam male dr's, as I know there are wonderful ones....but I have heard this complaint by others as well.

Carolee - posted on 03/20/2010




If you can, go to a different doctor. It's rare, but it does happen when something gets "left behind" after any type of delivery (such as a tiny part of the placenta). I'm NOT saying that's what happened, but you should probably insist on having an ultrasound if that would be at all possible. Be insistant with whatever doctor you go to, though. They tend to take us (patients) saying "pain" as meaning "discomfort". I had to yell at my doctor that I knew the difference between the two a few times before he got the clue that I was in "actual pain". I hope you find the answer soon. Take care.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms