Need Help.

Shannon - posted on 04/28/2010 ( 10 moms have responded )




I have two step children 10 year old son, 8 year old daughter. I have raised them since they were 3 and 5. I have full custody of both the children with my husband. The mother was ordered by the court to have no contact, no visitation. She still has her rights. I was wondering since I have full custody is it ok to go back to court and ask the mother to sign her rights. I do know that she does not want the kids. I want the kids to only have me as a mom. Is that asking too much.


View replies by

Brenda - posted on 05/01/2010




Whoa! This Mom may be horrible and the courts may think she should not be around them, but EVERY child LOVES their Mother. It does not matter how rotten or low they are treated it is inborn to love and want our Mother's love back. If the court has ordered that she not see them , then she will have to petition the court to reverse that. If she really does not want them, you have no worries. These children will be hurting the rest of their lives if they have the knowledge that their Mother "signed away her rights". Right now they can blaim the court and still think their Mom loves them. Why should they go through being rejected by her in the most absolute way possible if it can be avoided? AND, I am sure you can use the money to do other things for them, courts and lawyers are very expensive. This is coming from a step mom who has been through Hades and back with a step daughter.

[deleted account]

Do it! If it is court ordered that she has no contact and whatever, then there are good reasons for it and it will be easy to get her rights stripped or ask her to sign off on them... if you know she wants nothing to do with them and everything, it should be easy... hope it all works out for you :)

Sandy - posted on 04/29/2010




I would as the children how they feel about age appropriate words of course. That will tell you whether it the right thing to do or not

[deleted account]

I would go back to court on the grounds of having her rights terminated. If she is already court ordered to have no contact then it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

Laura - posted on 04/29/2010




no that's not asking too much! if this woman never sees or talks to her kids, how could she ever know whats best for them? How is she able to make informed decisions regarding their welfare? go for it!

Brittany - posted on 04/29/2010




I am not sure where you are, but I am in Missouri and here the law is if a parent has had no contact (including child support, letters, phone calls, visitations, etc.) for 6 months then you can petition the courts to terminate her rights on the cause of abandonment. (I am going through this right now) It is not an easy process, and going to be very expensive for us, but you can do it. Good luck!!!

Jessica - posted on 04/28/2010




If she has been out of the picture long enough, you can file for abandonment, and adopt the kids...

Shannon - posted on 04/28/2010




See she has other kids that are on the court order, those kids went to different reletevies to adopted them. My step children came straight to their dad. The other kids had to get her to sign her parental rights away so they can get adopted. I am not sure if there are any rights that she does have with my two. I just want to make sure that she can never get them back. That is why I want to take her rights away.

Jessica - posted on 04/28/2010




Im a bit confused. I know that every court order is different but how is it if she sis court ordered to have no contact and no visitations what rights does she have?

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms