The Circle of Moms site will be discontinued on March 1st, 2020. Head to POPSUGAR Family's Facebook page for more community discussions.

Let's Go >>

my four year old boy has speech problems

Mary Jane - posted on 08/25/2009 ( 11 moms have responded )




he can't speak a complete sentence and is confused with words


[deleted account]

Your pediatrician should be able to recommend professionals who can help. Have his hearing checked for sure to make sure that isn't the problem. My daughter had speech problems and she worked with a therapist for 2 years. When she reached K her teacher couldn't believe she had ever had therapy.

There are organizations that can help. Call your insurance provider and ask for their help too. They can make a referral. Also, check in the phone book under hearing. If you have a school for the deaf in your area, call them. They may be able to recommend agencies that can help. This is not to suggest that your son is deaf, but such a school would have students with partial hearing loss that might receive speech services. Good Luck!

[deleted account]

Public schools are required to help all kids with special needs, including speech problems even if they are enrolled in a private school. In most states I think that assistance begins at age 3. Go to your local school district and ask about having him tested and what assistance they can offer.


View replies by

Melissa - posted on 09/04/2009




Check with your human services in your area to see if they offer programming. Then, check with your physician/pediatrician for help. If that doesn't work, check into private speech therapists. My daughter didn't talk until she was 3 1/2, and she had a lot of interventions. Early intervention is key, and I would suggest you exhaust every option you can. Good luck!

Betsy - posted on 09/02/2009




My almost 4 stutters...I need to get him in to see a speech therapist is getting progressively worse!

Darlene - posted on 09/01/2009




As a teacher, I can definitely tell you to contact your local school district for information on where your son can be tested. Maybe it is just a temporary delay but it does not hurt to get started on giving him the services he may need this early on. Good luck!

Tammy - posted on 08/31/2009




My son has had difficulty speaking as well. We have talked to our doctor and he sees a s/t on a regular basis. Check with your educational resources. With early intervention, the difficulty has been mostly corrected with my son. Good luck!

Robyn - posted on 08/29/2009




If you are not able to access a speech therapist then some suggestions I have are:

- don't put any pressure on him if he gets upset

- repeat the sentence back to him in a correct way

- build on sentences gradually by taking nouns, adjectives then verbs then pronouns

Some letter sounds do not develop in children to 7 years of age. Do have your son check by your doctor and discuss you concerns with them, there are some tongue development concerns which can effect speech development, however if your son is within normal range with all his other develop I would try not to worry and try the suggestions above.

Cassandra - posted on 08/26/2009




my son does private school where there is no pathologist...what to do? Gifted, Straight A's but can't make his tongue make certain sounds

Rebecca - posted on 08/26/2009




Look around your area to see what kind of help is offered, ask the school board to for names of places that can help out. The sooner you get him help the better for both of you imagine going so long without being able to get others to understand you must be very frustrating for him

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms