changing my sons last name

Rosalinda - posted on 01/06/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




how can i change my sons last name without my ex he hasnt been in there life sins 3 yaers ago and me and my husbend want my boys to have his last name


LalaBoom - posted on 01/06/2014




You can do this only two ways:

One, your ex can willingly sign over his rights and agree to allow your husband to adopt.

Two, you go to court citing "abandonment" and petition to terminate your ex's rights. After this, your husband can adopt your children without needing the ex's approval.

Before you do this, think of this:

In the event that you and your husband get a divorce, he will be subjected to child support. No questions asked. These are not his biological kids (even if he feels like they are), so thats something you and him need to discuss.

Good luck!

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms