Terminating fathers rights

Colabear95 - posted on 02/07/2017 ( 4 moms have responded )




My daughter is 2.5 years old, her biological father has not made contact since I told him I was pregnant. I was 2 months pregnant. I've been married to my husband three years come October, and he wants to adopt her. Is it possible to do without contacting the biological father? I don't want this to be a hassle at all for my husband, he's such an amazing father and deserves to have that right, I mean he's the only dad she's ever known!


View replies by

Susan - posted on 02/19/2017




You need to check with an attorney for laws in your area. It is not about personal preference. File, get the adoption done, regardless and then go on being a wonderful famil.

Sarah - posted on 02/12/2017




Since the child is only 2.5 yo it may not really be reasonable to tell her about her bio-dad. I am not advocating lying to her, rather giving her information as she needs it. You absolutely should not attempt to terminate her dad's rights without going thru the proper channel. You may find he does not desire to parent, but you have to be honest with him or risk significant consequences later on. If you have been married for 3 years, how did this child come to be? Were you pregnant when you met your now husband? Does he actually think this child is his? Whose name is on her birth certificate?

Michelle - posted on 02/07/2017




In addition to what Ev said, the BD can give up his rights if he wants to. Just because he hasn't been in contact doesn't mean won't.
I would suggest talking to a lawyer and making sure you go about it the legal way.
I also agree with telling her that Dad isn't her real Dad. She has every right to know.

Ev - posted on 02/07/2017




First, you would need to get in touch with the BD and see what he wants to do. You can not just terminate his rights. He has a right to express his desire to be part of her life. Second, have you told her that dad is not her birth father? If you have not you need to. She needs to know the truth that another man is her BD though your husband has been the only dad she has known. Third, you would need to prove dad was unfit if you wanted to terminate his rights. You have not said he was a danger to you or your child. You need to do this legally.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms