My sister-in-law just had a baby and is living abroad. She has a difficult time communicating with her doctor, so she has asked me for help.....her muscles in her abdomen are REALLY separated. She is tiny and had a big baby. What can she do to help with this? THANKS!


View replies by

User - posted on 11/18/2008




where is she living? diastasis is really common and nothing to stress about. yes, go online and chk out the exercises for first, toning your pelvic floor i.e. kegels, and then moving on to transverse abs. then after you've re-strengthened, or re-tightened, your pelvic floor and transverse, then move on to obliques - internal and external, and finally moving to rectus abdominus work. basically, avoid doing 'direct sit-ups' 'cuz that makes your diastasis worse, and instead work on those ab muscles above your pubic bone, where your uterus is, and then work your way up.

Shannon - posted on 11/18/2008




If she has access to a computer tell her to go to this link or look up other sites about diastasis. You have to be careful which exercises you do with that condition because some will make it worse!! I had it too, not too bad, but with work and time she will get back to normal!

Julie - posted on 11/18/2008




A friend of mine had the same and she was given some mild stomach exercises which increased over the weeks. Must take it slow to start with though should be able to find examples on the net or speak to UK doctors / health visitor and they should be able to give them to you

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms