14yr daughter has run away

Janine - posted on 10/07/2015 ( 2 moms have responded )




My 14yr old daughter ran away nearly 2 months ago and I am devistated, heart broken! I thought we were close. She is staying with her 14yr old girl friend and the mother says she can stay there as long as she wants! I have been to the police and DHS and there is nothing they can do. Life is challenging and I just want her home so the pain will go away. 😰


View replies by

Ev - posted on 10/07/2015




Raye is right and at this point I would call a lawyer in family law to see what they might advise depending on your state laws and where you live. But DHS should be doing something about it at least. The police too.

Raye - posted on 10/07/2015




I'm not sure why the police and DHS are not doing anything. You should be able to file charges against or sue the parents that are keeping her for harboring a minor runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor (especially if she is not attending school).

Persons that allow a runaway child to stay with them often are not be able to enroll the child in school (maybe not helpful if the child is already in school or has dropped out) or authorize medical treatment on the child’s behalf. The natural parents of the child are still responsible for them until they are 18 (or emancipated, or guardianship is turned over to someone else) even if they are not living with you.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms