8 year old daughter disrespectful and bad temper

EarlBeckwith - posted on 03/19/2015 ( 3 moms have responded )




Is there a place in ny state I can send my daughter too be evauated for an impatient program too change her way?


View replies by

Rebekah - posted on 03/20/2015




I think the poster is referring to a inpatient hospital program to address psychiatric/behavioral issues.

I don't know what behaviors your are experiencing with your daughter, but you can consult with the pediatrician to see if he/she agrees it is the next appropriate step (or not). She would be evaluated prior to being admitted to such a program to see if she warrants that degree of intervention. I work in that kind of setting, actually... generally, kids are admitted because of a severe situation (being suicidal, unsafe behaviors, acute psychiatric issues, and/or otherwise not functioning well) and need stabilization. Usually inpatient treatment is short term... though there are residential programs that offer more intensive, longer term treatment, however there is often a long process before someone qualifies for that. Depends on what is going on.

If the issues are not an immediate safety issue, she may be more appropriate for outpatient counseling. Start with the pediatrician and see what is recommended.

Jodi - posted on 03/20/2015




Evaluated for what?

If you want her to change her ways, you discipline her. Make it clear that this behaviour is unacceptable and impose consequences. If you need a program to help with that, try parenting classes.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms