absent fathers rights

[deleted account] ( 2 moms have responded )

my son is twelve yrs old his dad has always told the town where we both live that levi is not his son I managed to find out where his dad was living contacted csa and he denyed levi again obviously dna results concluded he is levis dad I let him see levi twice after dna was prooved I let them meet twice and it is of mine aswell as my sons school s oppionion that levi should not see him again as already he has managed to deeply hurt my sons feelings with his volatile attitude I have texted his dad a very well thought through message explaining that the school and I think it is having a negative impact on my son who is statemented autistic and extreemly vunerable his dad has now thretened to take me to court what rights does his father have his father is not on my sons birth certificate as he said levi was not his child please help me asap many thanks lucy :'(


Jodi - posted on 01/16/2014




So you want him to take the responsibility (claim child support) but not have any rights? Have I got that straight? That is called having your cake and eating it too.

Now, having said that, his father has every right to go to court to request visitation. Whether he gets it or not is a whole other story. He is likely to get some form of visitation unless you have evidence that your son is likely to be harmed, so make sure you have evidence. Clearly dad hasn't been around for most of his life? That will probably count for something. There is also the fact that your son is now old enough to have his own opinion on the issue, a judge will possibly listen to that.

What it really comes down to is that no-one can truly predict what a judge will rule on any custody issue. It will often come down to the evidence presented (and your opinion doesn't count) and how good a case you have. But don't expect that it will all necessarily go your way.


View replies by

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 01/16/2014




Exactly what Jodi said, with a little bit of emphasis. You cannot have it both ways, you getting support, but him not getting to know his child.

Get your evidence ready for court, and let your son know that the judge may want to have his input as well. Prepare for some level of visitation. If your evidence is enough, it will warrant supervised visits, so make sure you're getting your proof together.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms