Am I wrong to legally want to change my childs name?

Daisy - posted on 12/21/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




When my child was born she was given both our last names .we were not married, unfortunately we ended up breaking up a year later .We live no longer live together and she lives with me.Dad is still very much involved in her life. However we both do not have short last names (we are latin and have two very common latin last names..) I began to see how a bit of a pain it is to always have to put both names.And she is mostly referred to with her fathers surname. That's what we usually go by,its easier. I've got no big deal with whos name is first and blah blah blah. Sometimes her name gets shortened or cut due to it's length,and when she starts to go to school if they are always going to go with just one name (I know they eventually have to learn to spell their full name and that would so suck to get her stuck with that!) I figured just make it easier on her and stick with one surname. Out of the both of us her Dad wants her to have and keep his surname,the traditional way.And I've no problem with that. Im going through the process of changing it legally.Would that courts see that as a legit reason?Am I wrong to have my child go back to keep her dads name?


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 12/22/2012




If you and the father agree to the name change that it is simple as filling out the paper work

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms