Can anyone tell me more about Protective Orders?

Hollie - posted on 07/09/2011 ( 10 moms have responded )




Not sure how to put this- But having problems with BM and her BF making threats to my DH and how shes going to come after me when Im not looking. I shouldnt have to live life this way. Always worried about the unexpected

Made a harrassment report on her 1 week ago and finally got a phone call in about how a possible officer who works with the prosecutor of our local county (BM's boyfriend lives in different county) but asked if we want to press charges
We said yes of course we do- they need to be held accountable for their actions. and with children involved you have to act seriuosly on the threats that were being made. Im just not sure how they work and how it can be arranged since there are two little girls involved!?


Sandra - posted on 07/09/2011




I do understand how scared you feel. We felt the same way before our adoption hearings. As previously stated, keep a record of everything. Every contact no matter how small. Get a protective order ASAP. If that is violated, they should go to jail (depends on the state and city) You can ask the judge to give you temporary custody of the children and the parents (BM and BF) have their rights terminated. Check with a family law attorney in your state for definite answers.

Katherine - posted on 07/09/2011




A PPO states that person can't come within 500 feet with you if I remember correctly.

I've had to get a few. If children are involved they are protected by the order too. Document like Tamara said and if he violates it, he WILL go to jail.
It could be prosecuted as felony stalking.

Katherine - posted on 07/11/2011




You can get an ex parte order that is immediate. No hearings at all.

Gwendolyn - posted on 07/09/2011




you go to court the firt order protects you for 5 days then you come back and their is a hearing the judge will hear both sides you can get a order for as long as 3 years you can ask for a 3 month stay which means if nothing happens within 3 months no new order but stand tall and follow through.


View replies by

Sandi - posted on 07/11/2011




Get an emergency no contact order. Make sure the court knows you know ur kids are ok danger.

Constance - posted on 07/09/2011




With you moving on this then you also need to get an immedient cout in family court. They will be able to make the arangement. if you are the one with physcal custody I would ask for survised vistation.

Kyleigh - posted on 07/09/2011




Make sure to ask the courts for your intitial hearing how it works. usually an avocate can help with this espeically if children are involved!

Tamara - posted on 07/09/2011




You need to keep a journal of sorts of everything, if possible record it if its done on the phone, if its done via text or facebook/online Keep a copy of it. the more you have the better your chances are, If there isnt anything then it will come down to a he said she said type thing and it may not happen.

Good Luck

Kyleigh - posted on 07/09/2011




Im going through the same thing!! Im filing ASAP on the BD here for prrotecting me and our 1 child.
BD is scary and anything can happen & is very capable to do somethin to me (he has guns) even the military said he is capable to do something!

Where are your two girls now? Hopefully in your arms and are safe. Im not sure how your state works but here they take IT very SERIOUS
sounds like yours is definitly harrassment! Thats a high charge both ways you look at it!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms