can i change my childrens surname without the fathers consent?

Linzi - posted on 05/01/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




i have been split with the father of my children for 4years he pays csa for them but doesnt see them on a regular basis, both my children have his surname can i change it to mine without the fathers consent in the uk??


View replies by

Gemma - posted on 05/01/2012




I would disagree with Linzi's comment I don't think you can change there surname anywhere without there fathers permission. I assume he is named on there birth certifcates. You need to talk to citizens advice.

Louise - posted on 05/01/2012




You can call your child anything you want as long as there passport is in their correct birth name. I went to school under my step fathers name, was registered at the doctors under that name. Everything was changed to match my mothers new name. The only thing was when I went to get married I had to change my name legally by deed poll or my birth name would have to go on the register and be read out in church. I dont know how you would change their passport name under the age of 18. You do not need the fathers consent to change their name at school, doctors or any where!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms