Can i get into legal trouble?????

Jennifer - posted on 02/02/2015 ( 5 moms have responded )




I currently live in Las Vegas and I'm looking to move to San Francisco I did let my exhusband know that we wanted to move and he did not agree. Would I get into any trouble if I just leave? I will tell him in advance. We do have a court order and they do take out money for child support. I'm not trying to keep the kids from him I just want to make a change for my kids and I. Please help!


View replies by

~♥Little Miss - posted on 02/03/2015




If your ex does not agree to let you move out of state, and there is a custody agreement and court ordered visitation, yes you can get into a hell of a lot of trouble moving out of state.

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 02/03/2015




You are welcome to do what you wish. HOWEVER, if your court orders and visitation agreement say that the child must be within so many miles of the non custodial parent...You can't take your kid with you.

This one is best to have settled between attorneys, if he won't agree to the move.

Jodi - posted on 02/02/2015




You are welcome to move!!! You just can't take your child with you if your ex doesn't agree until it is settles in court. If you are not taking away any of your ex's visitation time, the chances are the court will allow it. However, if it IS affecting your ex's parenting time, that is when there may be a problem. But if you move without the approval of the court, you could actually end up losing custody altogether.

Michelle - posted on 02/02/2015




Yes you can get into trouble. He could take you back to court and they could prevent you from moving.
Get yourself a lawyer and get proper advice on the best way to handle things. If the courts do allow you to move you may be up for all the travel costs to get the children to their Father regularly.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms