Can I get some sort of legal documentation saying I have sole custody of my son if his father is uninvolved and not even on the birth certificate?

Ariana - posted on 10/19/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




The only thing I have to prove my son is solely mine is an affidavit. Otherwise I have no real documentation that I have sole custody of him. The father is uninvolved, not on the birth certificate, doesn't pay anything doesn't acknowledge my son.

I've heard the only way to get legal documentation of sole custody is to go to court and the biological father has to be there or have documentation sent to him to know it's proceeding. Otherwise I just have to explain I'm the parent and have sole custody? Can't I get some sort of documentation for this?


Dove - posted on 10/19/2012




If there is no father listed on the birth certificate and no paternity test or court order... wouldn't you just need the birth certificate as proof? A birth certificate is a legal document. That is, of course, assuming that no paternity test has been done and/or no court order issued. If there IS a court order... you would need to go through court.

I am not a lawyer though, so you should probably call and ask one if you haven't already.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms