Can I put my husband on my baby's B.C.?

Gkredhead - posted on 10/10/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




Alright my husband is military and left for deployment in january. He left me with his roommates and they were very unstable, dangerous people. Well, one of them threw a party and drugged me in March and took advantage and I found out I was pregnant at the end of April, but didn't bother pressing charges because by the time I got around to finding the right lawyer, he was already in jail for drunk driving (like his third or fourth offense) on a suspended license, disturbance of the peace, and a noise violation and was supposed to be away for quite a while in jail.

Of course, I told my husband from the get-go about everything going on and he was actually excited and wants to raise the baby as his own and give her his name, and he's being very supportive and wonderful through all of this.

So can I put his name on the birth certificate? What if the bio dad gets out of jail and decides he wants to try to get rights or put his name on the B.C.??

I live in TN and as far as I know, based off of a few friends who have been in situations where they have dead beat baby dad's who don't want to have anything to do with their child, they said they were told the father of their child had 10 days from the day of the child's birth to claim his rights and if he didn't, then he was by law giving up his rights by inaction.

would it be legal and okay for me to put my husband on the baby's birth certificate??


Brittany - posted on 10/10/2012




Not signing the BC does not give up rights. A man can look for rights to his child after 10 years of not participating in the childs life.

You should press charges to ensure this man won't be able to get partial custody of your child. Otherwise, should he decide he wants to be part of the childs life at any point in the next 18 years, he will be entitled.

He will actually have to sign away his rights. However, I do believe your husband can sign the birth certificate.

But that doesn't change who the father of the child is. Also if you were raped how are you sure it's not your husbands child? Were you not sexually involved with him at the time as well? I would DNA test to be sure, and start court proceedings to keep a RAPIST out of your little girls life.


View replies by

Vicki - posted on 10/10/2012




The fact that this man drugged and raped you is illegal and needs to be deal with! So what if he is in jail for another charge, at least the police know where he is to charge him. He needs to be charged with this. This isnt ok that he drug you then rape you!! I understand it takes time to find a lawyer but should never be a reason to let him away with this

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms