Can my Ex-Husband be expected to pay my Current Husband for child care

Valerie - posted on 11/28/2015 ( 1 mom has responded )




I have a 7 year old with special needs. He has Autism, is non-verbal, not potty trained and requires a lot of supervision and care. His father and I have been divorced for 5 years. I am now remarried and my current husband has watched my son for free for over 2 years along with our daughter who is now 2 years old. I would have free child care for my daughter all day long through his family. However, I have tried to get my son into KinderCare and into the after school program through the School District and neither of them will take him without an Aide. The place who does the funding for an Aide here in California has denied providing my son an aide for after school care. I went to court last week to receive court ordered child support for the first time and the judge also ordered that my ex pay half of the child care costs associated with my being able to work. I literally cannot put my son in any program because of his special needs. If I write a check to my current husband would a court uphold my ex husband reimbursing me for half?


Dove - posted on 11/28/2015




That would have been a good question to ask the judge last week. You can ask your lawyer about it, but I do not think it would work... I know 'I' would deny that if I were a judge as this is your spouse caring for his own stepchild... unless he has a daycare license and watches children for a living it's not exactly logical.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms