Can the biological father demand his name be put on the birth certificate if he is not my husband

Kristy - posted on 12/29/2013 ( 3 moms have responded )




During my pregnancy the bio dad denied my child as his. I met a man and fell in love we were married at the time of our daughters birth he signed all the paperwork and gave her his last name my daughter is now 7 mo old and the bio dad wants "his rights" he wants his name on the bc and is threatening to get full coustody. can he do this


Ev - posted on 12/29/2013




I do not know how you could think that the bio father would not change his mind and come back to have his chances with his own child. A lot of men seem to do this from the posts I have read. You did the wrong thing placing another man's name on the birth certificate and its also not legal.

Jodi - posted on 12/29/2013




Yes, the bio dad can still get rights. The man you put on her birth certificate is not her father, and her father wants rights to his child. Hell yes he can do this. He can petition the court for a DNA test to prove his parenthood, and then he can proceed to get some level of custody. And by actually ACTIVELY denying his rights, he might actually succeed in getting custody because you are demonstrating parental alienation. Good luck to him. Mothers who deny the rights of their baby's fathers should get in trouble more often.

Amy - posted on 12/29/2013




Well you forged the birth certificate, and lied on government documents so you can get in trouble for that. Bio dad can decide he wants to be in his child's life whenever he wants and you can't deny him that right. He'll have to file in the courts and establish paternity and the judge will decide on visitation of you can't come up with an agreement in mediation.


View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms