Can the court force my 13 yr old to visit a father that has never been in her life????

Stephanie - posted on 07/07/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




Here is my daughter is now 13 almost 14...her father has NEVER been apart of her life...he lives in SC and I now live in TN...he seen her a few times from age 0-2yrs...the once for about an hour when I had returned to SC for a funeral...she was 11 I think...He does pay child support, but only because he was forced to....and the orders do not say anything about visitation...she has my last name and he is not on the birth certificate because he was not there when she was born and at that time in SC he would have had to been there to sign....she does not know him and because he has not been apart of her life, she does not want anything to do with him...I have reached out so many times to try and get him to have apart of her life, but he never has..they have communicated via facebook and text...every once in a while he will text her and say daughter does not like to be rude so she would text back even though she really did not want to...well just recently they had it out...she told him how she felt about him and that she didnt want anything to do with he is telling her that he has legal rights and if she was there he would slap her (because she told him how she felt about him) and now telling her that he will speak with the court to see about forcing her to go to SC to visit with him....she said she will not go!!! He is a stranger to her, they have only talked briefly on facebook and text and basically because she told him how she feels he is now threating her with this...can the court force her to go stay with him or is she old enough to make her own decision....keep in mind he has been in and out of jail for child support and other issues, he does drugs etc...she really cannot stand him....please tell me there is nothing he can do this late in her life.....Sorry so long just wanted to explain in detail....


View replies by

Stacey - posted on 07/07/2012




I would consult an attorney. Might as well find out what you and your daughters rights are before he takes it to that point. Hopefully they will listen to her and not him!

Michelle - posted on 07/07/2012




I would say the courts wouldn't force it and they woud be asking him why he now wants to be a part of her life after 13 years. The courts would also listen to what your daughter wants.

Maybe get some legal advice just to make sure there aren't any loopholes that he can use to get her though.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms