can the father keep the child

Chasity - posted on 12/02/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




my 8 yr old niece went to visit her dad and he did nit return her home yesterday. he lives in a home with a convicted child molester and kidnapping charges. there are no legal custody papers but the dad is SUPER UNFIT


Jodi - posted on 12/02/2013




Without legal custody paperwork, he has as much rights to his child as you do. This is why every parent should ensure that they have legal documentation of their custody and visitation arrangement for their child - it is there to protect the rights not only of the adults, but the child too.

I do have to ask that if he lives in a home with someone like that, why did you allow your daughter to go in the first place if it is such a danger to her?

Anyway, now you need to get a lawyer and go to court to get her returned. You should also get those custody papers sorted out even if he does return you. You could call child protection and let them know about the fact that your daughter is in a home with a convicted child molester. But they might not return her to you.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms