can the father of my child get custody even if he's not been present for the entire life?

Rainia - posted on 11/17/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




Can the father of my child get any type of custody if he has not been present, for her entire life ? He has stated that he has gotten a lawyer and he said that the lawyer said that the first step is to get apaternity test. From there on any thing is possible. He has been abusive to me during the course of otur relationship. Is any of this possible? If indeed he has changed, does he have a chance?


View replies by

Dove - posted on 11/17/2012




Anything is possible. You can't really predict what a judge will or will not decide.

How old is your daughter? Do you have documented evidence (like police reports) of the abuse? How long has he been uninvolved? Does he have any evidence that he's changed (like been in counseling)? Do you have a lawyer?

These (and more that I can't think of right now) are very important questions to tackle.

As long as you aren't on drugs, abusive, or neglectful... YOU won't lose your daughter, but your ex may or may not get supervised visitation, unsupervised visitation, or up to 50/50 custody depending on the specifics of your case, any evidence available, and the judge that takes the case.

Lacye - posted on 11/17/2012




He can probably get joint custody but more than likely you would have physical custody of the child. The court system are at least going to give him a chance to be a dad.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms