can the father of my child voluntarily terminate his rights?

Jessica - posted on 10/11/2011 ( 9 moms have responded )




The father of my child has been absent most of my 3 year olds life and has NEVER paid child support. So I have done everything on my own since day one. He is a severe drug addict and alcoholic. He comes in and out of our life periodically when he needs money or sobers up a bit. Hes abusive and actually just got arrested for beating his girlfriend up. I want to make sure he cant pop in and out of my sons life anymore.I think he would sign a paper to give up his rights as long as he wouldn't have to go to this possible?


View replies by

Ez - posted on 10/11/2011




Jessica, I commend you for putting your child's welfare above any monetary support you may or may not get from this guy. Because you're exactly right.. money is not everything. In your shoes, I would make the exact same decision. Your child's sense of wellbeing and stability is so much more important. And let's face it, if this is an accurate depiction of your ex, your chances of getting regular child support are probably pretty slim.

So I say do it. Protect your child.

Jane - posted on 10/11/2011




Get a lawyer and do it right, so he can't come back later and contest it.

Jessica - posted on 10/11/2011




Thank you all so much .... I've been kind of torn on the decision I have a great relationship with the Bio dad's mother and she doesn't agree with me bringing any legal action against him except paying support. But I feel no money in the world is worth my son being exposed to that kind of person

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms