Change of my sons surname

Meryl - posted on 11/30/2015 ( 1 mom has responded )




I was foolish to have put my son under his fathers surname
Now I want to change it, and home affairs wont do that with out the fathers signature, His father is not active in his life in anyway.. We do not even speaks, have not seen each other or his son in over 4 months.
How can I go about his????
Any contacts I can speak to....


Raye - posted on 11/30/2015




You have to prove that the name change is in the best interests of the child, and right now it seems there is no advantage to changing the child's name. Just because you don't like his father is not a valid reason. Even if you were able to change it, the father will remain the father, and still have rights should he decide to come back into his child's life. You have to live with the consequences of your choices. You chose to have sex with a jerk. You both made a baby. Those things you can't change. Changing the child's name is just being petty.

If you haven't already done so, you should go to court and make sure custody is established for yourself, and visitation terms are established for the father. That way he knows what his rights are should he want to be involved with the child, and he wouldn't be able to legally take more than what he is awarded by the court order.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms