Amber - posted on 05/02/2011 ( 2 moms have responded )




my son has both my last name and his fathers, i would like to take his fathers last name off, there for my son doesnt get confused in school. and that his father doesnt do a thing for his son he doesnt deserve it.

i dont want him to sign anything because he will make a big deal about it. i dont wanna have him sigh anything. how can i go about that?


[deleted account]

As far as I know, there are a couple ways to go about this, but BOTH ways notify the father.

The first is to get his signature consenting to the name change.

The second is to have him sign over all parental rights, and after that is all over you could change your son's name.

The third is to go to the family courts to have his rights stripped (but let me warn you, the courts want VERY good reasons to strip parents' rights. Even abandoning your child for over a year doesn't make them want to do it...).

Honestly, your best bet is to talk to a lawyer (most states have legal aid services where you can get free or reduced rates for lawyer services - ask your family courthouse and they will be able to help you get the info). Only a lawyer wil know ALL your options.


View replies by

Bonnie - posted on 05/02/2011




I'm not certain, but I would think his father would need to sign papers and give the okay. Is your son's father on the birth certificate?

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms