Changing Child's Last Name to Mothers Help ??

User - posted on 08/25/2011 ( 2 moms have responded )




My child, Colin, was born 9-28-10. His father has not seen him but approximately 10 times since. The very last time he has had any contact with him is 11-25-10. He claims to try to see him although he has not contacted any one to even attempt to. He has been arrested on meth charges and I am worried for my son's sake that one day he might come in contact with him. I want to change Colin's last name to mine. I have been told various things so i am just looking for a solid answer if that is possible. Either just to guide me in the correct direction or specifically tell me how. I have been told that i need the fathers consent, and also that if he has not seen him in 6 months or more then we can call it abandonment and his rights to my son will be completely taken away. I am scared for when my son gets older i do not want him mixed up in that family they have marijuana growing in their barn beside their house and obviously, into other things like meth. I just simply want my sons last name to mine to keep him safe and away from harm. Thanks in advance for any help possible.


View replies by

Tamara - posted on 08/26/2011




Because So much depends on your state, and county laws and the way they do things.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms