Changing children's last name

Kathryn Ann - posted on 03/13/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




I would really like all my children to have my last name. I have two girls with their fathers last name. He's been in prison for over 3 years now and has two more to go. He's never been a father to my children and has only given me 120 dollars in support total! He went a whole year not even contacting them. I asked him to sign papers allowing me to change their name to mine and he refuses to do so. Also his family has had NOTHING to do with my children. Myself and my family are all my children know. Does anybody know if court will let me change names without fathers consent. If the answer being no, what about adding my last name


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 03/13/2014




If you are in the US, check with your state's department of vital records. Generally, a name change will have to go through a judge, and you will have to allow a period for people to object to the change. If there are objections, the judge can decide not to grant the change.

If he has refused to sign the paperwork already, I'd say you have your answer, but check with vital records.

Michelle - posted on 03/13/2014




You would be better off asking a family lawyer in your area.
I know here in Australia you can change your name by deed poll by applying to the courts but unsure if that's only as an adult or if a parent can change their childs name.


View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms