changing my daughters last name

Amber - posted on 10/09/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




I would like to change my daughters last name to mine, I'm not real sure how to go about it. Her "father" signed the birth certificate but hasn't had a single thing to do with her since she was 5 months old, she is now 3 as of June 2. I don't get child support I have supported her with the help of my parents and my current boyfriend who has raised her since her dad left. I was a young mom I had her at the age of 17 so I wasn't thinking clearly when he signed the BC. I needhelp! I'm not sure where to start or If he has to give give me permission. I have full custody of my daughter but I gave guardian ship to my parents for proper insurance.
Any ideas ???


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 10/09/2013




You'll need to contact your local legal system. When we had to do a name change on my son (because the hospital got his information wrong on the sheet for his BC), we had to do it thru the courts. No attorney or anything, just had to file a motion with the courts for a name change. It had to be posted for 6 weeks in the local newspaper. If anyone had objected, they'd have had the opportunity to present their objections to a judge, and a final decision is made by the judge.

In your case, I'd recommend getting a family attorney, taking the child's father to court for support, and addressing the name change at that time.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms