changing my kids last name

Juliaealonso - posted on 04/01/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




im a single mom and im going to get married but he is not my babies babbies daddy is not near the picture can i change there last name to hes..i neesd help


[deleted account]

You will need to speak to your lawyer. Every state is different. Most states require permission from both parents to change a child's name, so you will have to track down the father and have him sign that he gives his permission. In some cases, if the father has legally signed all of his rights away (this would be done through court) you would not need his permission.
I have heard of some cases where the court assumes forfeiture of rights if the father (or mother) has not attempted contact with the children for a certain number of years, but I don't know the details (I think you may have to prove that he cannot be found).

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms