Changing my sons last name

Jennifer - posted on 07/21/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




My sons dad doesn't play a big part in my sons life at all, so I want to change his last name to my last name. Is this possible?


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 07/21/2014




Entirely. It is a legal process (if you are in the US), and it will need to be done following the procedure from your state's dept. of vital statistics.

Generally it's a 6 week petition process. The child's father will be given an opportunity to respond to the petition as well. and the judge will make the name decision based on the responses to the petition. Should the petition be contested, you'll each have to make your case in front of the judge.

Is the child's father involved at all? Does he attempt to visit? Pay support? Are visitation/support court ordered?

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms