Changing the child's last name to moms

Loraine - posted on 04/04/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




What do you do when the father of the child and his family submits false affidavits during the process of my daughter trying to change my granddaughters last name to hers? The family including the father has had no contact what so ever for over 2 years. The judge ruled in their favor of course after reading their affidavits which were primarily blaming my daughter and our family for their actions.???


♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 04/04/2014




You respect that the child has two parents, and that if they aren't in agreement, a judge has to make a decision based on evidence presented to him.

If my husband and I (both the biological parents of my son) had received any affadavits during our request to amend our son's name on his birth certificate, we'd have had to present our evidence to the contrary in order for it to be granted.

And, I have to say, if the child's father and paternal grandparents have proof that your daughter did, in fact, not foster a relationship between the two, then they have proof of attempted parental alienation of the child's father, which is NOT ok.

I'd say that there's probably more to this story, not that I really need details. Bottom line is name changes in the US generally have to go through the court process, and if anyone files a petition to oppose, the courts will take that into consideration.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms