Child custody

Gina - posted on 08/21/2016 ( 4 moms have responded )




The father of my daughter hasnt had anything to do with her since birth except for a short period of time ehen she was about 5-6 yrs old. He doesnt have is name on thr birth certificate and hasn't supported her in any other way. Now all of a sudden he is wanting to take me to court. What can i do to make sure he stays away?


View replies by

Lisa - posted on 08/22/2016




I am sorry you are going through this. Make sure you document all you know and seek wise counsel. I know it can be hard, but if you are clear and have documentation, the people will listen. Hugs mama - hope all goes well.

Michelle - posted on 08/21/2016




Like the others have said, it's his right to go to court to see his child.
Get yourself a lawyer and see what happens. Just because he hasn't been around or supporting her doesn't change the fact he is her Father and has rights.
Just leaving him off the birth certificate doesn't change her parentage.

Dove - posted on 08/21/2016




Since it does not seem like you have current court orders (since he's not even on the birth certificate) he has every right to petition the court for a paternity test and some sort of visitation... if not joint custody. This is something that would have been best to establish 10 years ago as you would then have a way to show he HAD an established access right to see his daughter and simply chose not to do so.

Ev - posted on 08/21/2016




You can not make sure he stays away. He has every right to petition the court for a paternity test to prove his fatherhood to this child. He has every right to have a relationship with her and to parent her. He can also ask for some sort of custody or visitation once his paternity is set. You should have done this a long time ago.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms