Child custody?

Samantha - posted on 08/21/2012 ( 2 moms have responded )




Okay so my kids father and I seperated we were never married but we had our own schedule going on where we each take one of the girl for a couple days than switch wee it's been like 8 days and he keeps sayin he doesn't care what I say or try 7 do he isn't giving her back he just keep starting all this drama cause he doesn't like me. how do i go about getting her back I mean don't have any money for a lawyer or anything like that or even how do you know if you have custody if it wasn't court ordered cause he live with his mom & like 5 other girls and my daughter sleeps idk where but she doesnt have her own bed or room or anything like that. please help.


View replies by

Dove - posted on 08/21/2012




I agree with Michelle. I understand not being able to afford a lawyer, but you need one asap.

You could research online to see what his rights are in your state considering that the two of you were never married. That 'might' help you get her back without a lawyer, but it might not. If he is on the birth certificate and there is no current custody order... going to court is your only chance unless he decides to be reasonable.

If you are both on the birth certificate and there is no court ordered custody order.... you both have equal rights to the kids. So... he can keep them away from you (even though that isn't 'right') and you can keep them away from him (not 'right' either). Of course, if either of you are refusing the other access and there is documentation of that.... it will make that person look bad when you get to court and could potentially end up losing him the chance at 50/50 custody.

I'm sorry you have to go through this!!! Good luck!

Michelle - posted on 08/21/2012




go to legal aide and get yourself a lawyer that is your best bet because custody or not he cannot with hold access to your daughter so talk to a lawyer

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms