CPS and disability: should diesabled parents be stripped of thier kids

Ceberpalsy - posted on 02/11/2012 ( 1 mom has responded )




I am a person with cerebral palsy and I also have bi-polar. two years ago, I made report to CPS that my husband was not able to raise the kids because of his mental illness. He was dangerous to be around. So the kids were placed into guardianship until my husband became normal. Now we are ready to have them back, but CPS is saying that because of our disabilities we can never get them back. We raised our kids for the first 11 years of their life. The guardian has been reported to CPS for sever corporal punishment(slapping them in their faces, spanking one daughter 12 time in a row, making my daughter sleep on the floor for one month). CPS overlooked it and told the guardian that she can use any discipline that she feel necessary. we are very poor and have no money for a lawyer (we make on 1500 a month from SSDI). What do you think?


Nikki - posted on 02/11/2012




Can you not get legal aid? If it were me, I would write up a letter, with photo's of your house etc demonstrating your ability to care for your children. I would also get assessed by your doctor's therapists ect and get professional letters from them stating you are fit to care for them, some character references from people in your lives couldn't hurt either. Good luck.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms