custody help

Stepanie - posted on 12/04/2012 ( 4 moms have responded )




hi my name is stephanie i have a 4month old baby and his dad wants to get conjoin custody im willin to let him visit my son but i dont want my son to spend the night with him i feel my son needs me his father wasnt with me durin my pregnacy i worked to pay for my delivery and to prepare myself with my son to get my crib and clothing as soon as my son was born he came back hes been givin me 100 dollars every 2 weeks he has a part time and gettin evicted from his apartment i want to know if anybody has gone trough the experience i gone trough please let me know help me get some good advise wat should i do is it posible to get sole custody n visitation right so i wont be away from my son please excuse my english thank you


View replies by

Ashley - posted on 12/05/2012




if he takes you to court, he will probably get every other weekend, if not more time than that. if you go in and say you dont want him to just because you dont want to be without your baby, that will not look good. the only advantage you have is him getting evicted, but if he has a stable place to stay and your son will not be in harm's way, then you still wont have a leg to stand on.

Jodi - posted on 12/04/2012




Hate to tell you....this isn't actually about you and what you want and how you don't want to be away from your son. This is about the fact that your son has two parents, and your child's right to have a relationship with both of you. There is nothing in your post that indicates to me that he is a bad father, so I don't like your chances of getting sole custody. A bad boyfriend maybe, but if you are getting $100 every two weeks, then you are doing better than many people, he's making an effort.

Dove - posted on 12/04/2012




If you are breastfeeding... depending on your court and judge your ex 'might' not get overnight visits under a year. If you are bottle feeding though... there is no reason in the world why the two of you can't have joint custody right away. Your son has a right to an equal relationship w/ both his parents and most courts favor that unless there is a really good reason to rule otherwise.

Sorry that's not what you want to hear.

Lacye - posted on 12/04/2012




You aren't going to like what I have to say but I'm going to say it anyways. No you can't get sole custody unless you can prove your child's father is a danger to him. The fact that he's giving you money to help with the child looks really good on his part. You can't just get custody of a child simply because you don't want to be away from him. Sorry. It's just not going to happen. What you need to do is go ahead and file court papers for custody. You and him will more than likely get joint custody.

As for what happened before your son is born, it sucks but yall weren't married. Legally, he owed you nothing for any of the pregnancy things. Your doctor's appointments, delivery, or anything like that, he did not have to help you with. He has done nothing wrong.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms