Day Care Tax Information

Mindy - posted on 10/15/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




This is my first time sending my 2 year old to an actual state licensed day care. What can I claim on my taxes? I have heard I can claim the weekly rate, but can I claim her supplies, food, clothes that she needs for day care? I have been saving all my of receipts because I wasn't sure.


Guest - posted on 10/15/2014




The laws vary by state, so you would need to check with an accountant familiar with your state's laws.
In my state you can only claim the tuition and school related supplies that you would NOT require if the child were not attending the daycare. So food, clothes, diapers, etc. you cannot claim because you would still be feeding and clothing the baby if she was at home, but workbooks or text books that are required specifically for daycare you could claim. (Some states do not even allow that, so check before you fill out official forms).

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms