The Circle of Moms site will be discontinued on March 1st, 2020. Head to POPSUGAR Family's Facebook page for more community discussions.

Let's Go >>

DeadBeat Dad

Jennifer Lynn - posted on 11/30/2013 ( 1 mom has responded )




I have a 2 month old daughter and her father has not been there since I found out I was pregnant he hasn't offered to help by anything and wont even come see her or anything he is not on the birth certificate and she does not have his last name we have never been married or anything so does that give me automatic custody? and am I allowed to leave the state with her?


Jodi - posted on 11/30/2013




It depends where you live. However, the father does have rights, whether he has supported you or not, whether he is on the birth certificate or not. There are cases of women who have left state with their child, assuming the father was not interested, and ended up losing custody once the father established paternity. You should discuss the situation with a lawyer and establish custody legally, or it could backfire on you.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms