Divorced, new boyfriend, pregnant and worried about birth certificate

Samantha - posted on 01/07/2013 ( 4 moms have responded )




Okay , I got divorced October 24th , the marriage was over a year prior but became final then. My boyfriend and I conceived our twins October 30th delivery being set July 23rd. When I give birth to these babies it will be just shy of of ten months. When I called the department of vital records they told me if I tried to
Put my boyfriend as the father
On the birth certificates at the hospital they will automatically put my ex husbands name on there . Now they suggested I put father unknown and just give the babies my boyfriends last name because in the state of Virginia you can name the babies anything .,.,now has anyone went through this? My divorce was finalized in Florida .... They said that the courts would order a paternity test of I try and put any one other than my ex husband on a babies birth certificate . If this is alp
True how do I add my boyfriend later??? So torn up over this crazy law :(


Jodi - posted on 01/07/2013




Do the paternity test, if they are going to do it anyway, then your boyfriend can be on the certificate.


View replies by

[deleted account]

Protect yourself and get that paternity test regardless. The law helps to protect the men from each other. The reason they say the ex should go on the certificate is because the divorce ending is so close to the conception of your twins, that it could be questioned. I know it sucks but you have to remember that most states have those type of laws as they assume that if you are married the child is who you are married to. I know you are divorced but the time line is so close that honestly it is better to cover your ass. You should not leave it blank, this will cause all kinds of issues. Putting the last name on there seems good. Do your research and protect yourself and those kids and forget about how stupid the laws are sometimes

Dove - posted on 01/08/2013




That makes no sense whatsoever why they would make you put your EX husband's name on the birth certificate for a child/children born 10 months after the divorce is finalized.... don't they realize how conception works. ;) Weird.

Just do the paternity test and amend the birth certificate.

Pedwards2001 - posted on 01/07/2013




Well first I do believe you can amend the birth certificiate, meaning add his name to it, I know in IL we can. Second, you just ask to talk to the head dr. or you aint signing nothing, no joking but really that would be coming out of my mouth, call a lawyer and ask advice, it shouldnt be a problem unless your ex was trying to say they were his.
Good Luck:}

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms