Do I have full custody of my son

Sharna Thelma - posted on 03/23/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




I am just wondering if I have full custody of my son or do I need to go through court to do so, his biological father has had nothing to do with him ever seen he was born and does not pay child support my son is now 4 and half but the fathers name is on his birth certificate


View replies by

Ev - posted on 03/24/2014




I agree with Jodi. You should have filed for custody, child support and visitation orders and keep in mind these orders are separate issues. The father could change his mind and try to come into your child's life but depending on the laws of your state or country; abandonment might gain him loosing his rights as well. Where I live for example, it has to be so many years though I can not remember of no contact of any kind be it mail, phone or in person and the parent looses their rights. But child support can still be gotten from said parent.

Jodi - posted on 03/23/2014




Well, generally, unless you have court orders saying so, you don't have full custody. However, you can file for it. You can claim abandonment I believe.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms