Ex wants to see the kids after 7 yrs

Kathy - posted on 09/24/2012 ( 3 moms have responded )




I have an ex who has not made an effort to see his children in almost 7 years. He is now engaged and all of a sudden wants to have the children visit him over the holidays. He lives in CO and I am in WA. He has not paid full support in a long time, but some is still being garnished whenever he is working. He has not even tried to be understanding about our finances and the fact I cannot afford to send them and is threatening me with police intervention to 'make this happen'. We do have an old parenting plan that says he gets to see the kids on certain holidays, but I have to get them to Rawlins WY and I cannot afford to get them there. What should I do? I figure it is time to write up a new plan since he is now wanting to see them. Is there anything other than that I should be doing? The kids are now 13 and 14, and he used to see them every year, just all of a sudden stopped with no explanation. The police comment has me stressed. I want to get the kids out to see him and have tried to think of household items I can sell off to raise the money for travel, but I am still finding myself short on cash... Ideas?


View replies by

Gwen - posted on 09/24/2012




If the visitation agreement was never changed or terminated then, yes, he does have the legal right to see his kids at the times on the original schedule. Long distance visitation definitely puts a new spin on things. I'm assuming you guys lived closer together when the agreement was written..otherwise responsibility for travel expenses would have been stipulated in the divorce.

Definitely talk to your lawyer ASAP.

~♥Little Miss - posted on 09/24/2012




I would contact a lawyer asap. If he wants to see the kids, it should be his financial responsibility imo. Also, if the kids have not seen him in 7 years, they may not want to even go for a holiday with him. They are old enough to make that choice also imo. Talk to your lawyer, that is your best option, and maybe be able to change visitation stuff. I do feel a father has rights to see there children, but in certain cases where they have not seen the kids and live in a different state, I think it is unfair to be putting this burden on a family.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms