family law

Patricia - posted on 10/23/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




grand daughter has a baby, father and her not married. His name is not on birth cert , he is threatening to 50/50 custody he's a fellon on parole, what legal action can she take


View replies by

Jodi - posted on 10/24/2014




I guess it depends on the felony, but as father, why is he not entitled to 50/50 custody? Where I live the law says both parents have equal rights unless agree otherwise, or unless deemed unsuitable. Married or not.

Ev - posted on 10/24/2014




You need to get a lawyer to explain what can be done. We are not legal experts here nor can we advise legally either. Where you live, you need to find out what the laws say. But frankly, if he is truly the father, he has the rights to ask for visitation at least if not partial custody depending on his crime he went to jail for. You may need to get the records of his arrest, conviction and jail time to show the judge if he is thought to be a danger to the child. He can ask for a paternity test to prove he is the father. A child should not be denied the right to know a parent at all even if it means a supervised visit so often a month. Your daughter needs to be asking for child support, custody, and visitation set up. In the end, its the child that hurts the most in something like this.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms