Family law/ A good dad

Michelle - posted on 01/20/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




My hubby has a 11mos old by his ex..When baby was born she signed the birth cert and gave the baby her last name while my hubby(we weren't married at the time just friends) went home to shower...He pays support every month without a court order and he sees the baby in her home 2 times a week since the baby was born...Now we are taking her to court to get support on paper and gets his visition outside her home and we also are asking the judge to allow my husband be on the birth cert and add his last name to the babys names....Baby momma is giving him a hard time about all of this...What do u think about what my hubby is asking for?


View replies by

Michelle - posted on 01/20/2014




I wouldn't be pushing to have the baby's name changed but yes for him to be on the birth certificate. To get put on the birth certificate he will probably need to do a DNA test to prove he is the Father.
Like Jodi said, it's always good to get the visitation and support arranged through court so everyone knows where they stand.

Jodi - posted on 01/20/2014




With regard to the birth certificate, I guess the name was her choice. It depends on where you live as to whether a judge will force that to be changed. Daddies don't have sole right to have the child named after them. However, I can't see how the rest of it is unreasonable. Is she breastfeeding the baby? If she is, the chances are the visits will only be short ones until the baby is older, but it is a really GOOD idea to get it all spelled out in court orders, and then everyone is clear on their responsibilities.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms