father moved to canada


Raye - posted on 01/11/2016




Social Security benefits go to the kids only if the father is disabled or dies. You can go after him for child support, and then you can try to get government assistance if your income qualifies you for such.

If you live in the US, and he is in Canada...
Contact the child support enforcement agency in your area they will be able to send you the paper work needed. The 'UIFSA' is the governing US law regarding juristiction, enforcement and collection of Child support when one parent lives in a different state (and they consider Canada as a State when dealing with child support). They should mail you the paper work to get the ball rolling. But be aware that it will probably take months before anything actually gets started. In Canada it is the Family Responsibility Office (FRO) that deals with collection and enforcement. Once a child support order is made here, it will be sent to them. They will collect the support payments from the payor and send it to the agency in your area who will convert the amount to US funds and send it to you. You can call the FRO directly to ask them questions about how successful (or unsuccessful) others have been in getting a parent to pay support across the border and see if they have any tips for you.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms