Father NOT on birth certificate. Help plz ASAP

Madai - posted on 02/09/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




Hello to all of you mommies.
I have one question I wanna change my daughters last name to my husband's last name her biological father name it's not on her birth certificate. He has never been involved in her life she is already 5yrs. How and where can I do that here in Texas and how much does it cost? Help plz


Andrea - posted on 02/10/2014




I know here where I live we have what is call abandonment, Which means if the bio father has never seen or supported or anything in 6 months the mom can File abandonment and have their rights removed with out their permission.. Now I am not sure every state has this, something you could check in to.. My best friend did this with her oldest son as the bio dad, never tried to see or contact my friend to see him, she reached out a few times and nothing so, she got married and her husband, who has always been his daddy was put on the birth certificate..
You should be able to either speak with DHS or a family attorney to find out if you could do this..
Hope this is helpful, take care and best wishes..
Also my mom did this with my brother, { we have same mom just different dads} she did it when he was 7 years old.. He had never seen his bio dad, even though my mom tried very hard.. So when my dad came along he became my brothers dad as well..

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 02/10/2014




Check with a family attorney. He'll need to agree to the adoption, and removal of his rights. If he doesn't get him on the hook for support.


View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms