fathers rights

Rachel - posted on 05/02/2014 ( 3 moms have responded )




Hi ive not long split up wiv my sons dad, he is on the birth certificate and has his last name but i dont want me aon to have anythink to do wiv his father as he is unfit but his father is threatening to take me to court what can i do ?


Michelle - posted on 05/02/2014




You don't have any right to deny your child a relationship with his Father. You made a child together and you are both his parents.
Just because you don't like his Father doesn't mean he feels the same way. Your ex can take you to court and get at least visitation, if not shared care if he wants.
It's not up to you to decide if he is an unfit Father, that's up to the courts.


View replies by

Ev - posted on 05/02/2014




The other ladies are right. This man has every right to be a father to this child you two created. You chose this man to sleep with and you got pregnant. I am sure you were not thinking about a baby at the moment so if he was good enough to spend a night with and now he is not because you feel he is unfit to be a father. Does not make sense. How is he unfit? You can not decide that. It is your opinion that he is unfit because he has done what now?

Liz - posted on 05/02/2014




What you MUST do is permit your child's father to see him. The fact that you made a bad judgement in making a baby with someone that you no longer want to see does not mean that your son should be denied his parent. You are joined to this man as a co-parent until your son is at least 18 years old. You should get used to this now and make what arrangements you need to schedule visitations or set up a formal custody agreement.

If you continue to obstruct him in attempts to see his son, you could find yourself losing custody.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms