full custody

Shaquearah - posted on 04/27/2014 ( 1 mom has responded )




I'm a first time mom and I made a very bad decision by having a one night stand and I don't want him to come later on in my sons life and create any problems my son is my world so I would like to know how to go about getting full custody of my son. I live in Philadelphia, pa someone please help


Ev - posted on 04/27/2014




Just some basic information:

1) Get a lawyer in your area that knows the laws of your state and explain the situation to him or her. They can best guide you in how to go about it.

2) Have the lawyer set up for custody, visitation, and child support.

3) This man does have rights concerning the child. If he so wishes, he can also petition for the same thing or at least joint custody or even visitation. It may have been a one night stand but this child is not just yours, it is his child too and he has rights to a relationship to this child.

4) Once it has been presented to the judge, the judge will determine what is best and set up the orders for the custody, visitation and child support. Once its decided you both have to abide by the orders set in place. Meaning if you have custody then you can not hold visitation from him if he fails at child support and the same goes for him. Both child support and visitation are two different issues. Moving is not allowed unless agreed to by the other parent and judge.

5) Please for the sake of your child make sure that you keep the relationship open with the father to communicate and keep up with things based on the child. Also allow that relationship with the dad to be built too.

1 Comment

View replies by

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms