Full Custody/Adoption

Tobie - posted on 07/30/2010 ( 9 moms have responded )




Is it possible for my Husband to adopt my Daughter even though we can not find the Biological Father here in the State of Texas?


Angie - posted on 07/31/2010




As far as being legally married, I think I'd be concerned about having your boyfriend adopt her. Without a permanent relationship, it's possible that it will not last. At that point he will have the ability to gain custody of her. I'm not sure that's a chance I'd be willing to take.


View replies by

Julie - posted on 08/23/2011




Just out of curiousity, why would you want your boyfriend to adopt your child if you are not married? Why refer to him as your husband?

The two of you are obviously not scared of commitment since you are willing to have him adopt your daughter which is an even bigger committment than marriage!

I'm just curious.

[deleted account]

In Colorado, it is difficult to have a biological father's parental rights completely removed. One way is to remarry and have the new husband adopt your child. When this was explained to me I was told a new husband was practically required because if something happened to me, the state does not want my son to become a ward of the state. I don't believe you can have a boyfriend adopt your child. I have looked through the paperwork and no matter what, the adoption should be posted in a newspaper for x number of weeks. I would be very cautious personally to have my boyfriend adopt my child. That is a much bigger responsibility than marriage to me. Hope this helps!

Tracy - posted on 07/31/2010




Not sure what town you're in, but in Travis county you can go to the law library at the courthouse and find answers to pretty much all legal questions. It's free, but they can not give advice only information. Check with your county courthouse and see if they have that where you are.

Joy - posted on 07/31/2010




You will have to go through the process of severing the rights of your DD's father. It usually is a process that is started in the juvenile or family court system. When you file your paperwork, you will be instructed about the process of public notice. Once his rights have been severed you can start the adoption process.

Cynthia - posted on 07/30/2010




yes he can adopt her. the state will most likely put it in the paper for a time. in my state they run it for 9 months. then if the father never responds to the paper you r the onlyy legal parent of ur daughter and the court will alow ur husband to adopt.

Iridescent - posted on 07/30/2010




I believe so - check with a lawyer. I think a public notice is required to prove you made effort in good faith.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms