Grandparent Rights

Summer - posted on 10/28/2013 ( 3 moms have responded )




Hello. Need some advice. I am the mother of my 8 year old Trinity. Her biological father was sentenced to prison this past february for 17 years. Trinitys father had supervised visits with her at his parents house. He has written her a few letters, but she does not wish to write him back at this time. There is never any bad talk about him or forcing her to write him or talk about him. Trinity and her grandmother have a great relationship. I have always allowed her to come to special events, games, allowed Trinity to stay the night, spend time with her during summertime, etc. I have involved her in Trinity's life more than the average grandmother. I got married last year and Trinity is very close with her stepfather and we all have a good relationship. We had a discussion about my husband adopting Trinity in the future. We assured over and over that this would NEVER affect their relationship with Trinity and how they would always be part of her life. Well grandmother is NOT happy about this situation and has hired an attorney to fight for grandparent rights. How can you fight for something you basically already have. The tension has turned up and Im scared because Trinity plays a lot of sports and is very busy. We have always allowed her to stay whenever everyones schedule is open (about 2 times a month) and she comes to practices, games, etc. Please give me some advice on how to handle this!!


View replies by

Jodi - posted on 10/28/2013




Talk to a lawyer. I am not sure what is involved in your husband adopting her, but they may feel this is not okay, and are worried that their rights will be removed if they no longer have any claim that she is officially their granddaughter. You may be able to come up with some sort of written agreement that can be notarised without having to go to court.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms