Bobbie - posted on 09/12/2016 ( 2 moms have responded )




So we have custody of my husband's 9 month old by dcf the birth mom hasn't sent child support or seen her in 5 months. Now she's trying to file for food stamps and cash assistance using the baby. Can she to that ? Every time he tells her that he's going to file for child support she goes crazy and says shes gonna sign over her rights. She hasn't seen or bought anything for this baby. All she wants to do is be there for her first birthday . what should we do ?


View replies by

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 09/12/2016




So...he didn't file custody and support yet?

He needs to, regardless of what she "wants"

Sarah - posted on 09/12/2016




According to the other post, the mother has lost custody due to neglect. So, no she cannot file for food stamp or public aid since is not a custodial parent. If you and your hubby are parenting her 100% of the time, then file for support. Don't discuss it with her mother, just do it. If she surrenders her rights, then she has no legal entitlement or obligation to the child. I don't know about the birthday, I suppose it would be gracious of you to include her in this milestone; but if she is going to be checked out of the rest of her life? Does she currently have a visitation schedule, or is that at the discretion of the father?

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms