Juliana Joy - posted on 07/18/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )




I'm in the middle of a divorce and am on my own with three children. they are not going to my ex husband because he is a drunk. I only have ssi disability and child support from my oldest children's father. I don't know how I'm going to support them on disability and child support.


View replies by

♫ Shawnn ♪♫♫ - posted on 07/18/2014




Then get an attorney, get custody/support/visitation established.

FYI, you will not get to determine whether or not your ex will have access to his children, that will be determined by the courts. If you want support, you need to establish paternity and petition the courts for support. Expect to have visitation assigned for their father as well.

If you feel that you have enough solid proof to show that the man endangers his children, have your attorney request supervised visits.

As far as living within your means, its easy. Figure out what your necessary monthly expenses are and where you're going to need to cut things out, or reduce purchases.

Chet - posted on 07/18/2014




Have you done a budget and figured out where you can cut costs? Do you know exactly what it costs you to live and exactly how short you are?

Have you looked at moving? Can you find a cheaper place to live? Remember to consider all costs though. Sometimes lower rent means higher utility and transportation costs.

Familiarise yourself with organizations that can help. Food stamps, low cost food boxes, subsidized activities for children, free school supplies, etc, they're all there for a reason. Don't be afraid to use them.

Look at frugal living resources. There are lots great tips about saving money, and making the very most of the money that you have. A lot of money saving tips are time consuming, but if you have the time you can really cut your costs.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms